I recently noticed that my laptop would not gracefully shut down in the event of battery being critically low. It would display a warning message, but it would go off "sudden death" style. I searched the issue and found that I am not alone. I found some suggestions on changing the settings (thresholds) using gconf-editor.

Changing the settings
In terminal, run gconf-editor. It will open a window as displayed bellow. Select /apps/gnome-power-manager/thresholds/. My default values are displayed to the right.
My "wild guess" at this time is to increase percentage_critical from 3 to 7, and percentage_low to 15. I am also increasing percentage_action parameter from 2 to 5. That should initiate graceful shutdown of my laptop when the battery is at 5 % left.
The settings need to be tested. They may require some more tuning. Will see if the laptop shuts down properly (not "sudden death" style).
Waiting for Conclusion
I am waiting for my battery to go down to that level and see what happens. If it works the settings need to be adjusted for each user.
Update: It worked!
The laptop did a normal shutdown once the battery percentage level when under the newly preset value. Please note that you need to update settings for all users. I am curious if this can be preset on the system level.
1 comment:
Thanks, Tp. Your article saved me a lot of extra googling.
I'd like to add that I had to change one other setting for my EeePC:
/apps/gnome-power-manager/general/use_time_for_policy was set to 'true' by default, but the BIOS was reporting the wrong values for the "time" settings.
-Unglued
Post a Comment