I am writing this from a Pentium 3 at 733MHz with 256M. I have been playing with alternative setup CD from Ubuntu and followed several instructions on how to make a lightweight Linux installation. Currently running IceWM window manager and Ubuntu 8.04.2. Will provide some notes when I sort them out.

Making a distro (remastersys)
Installed remastersys utility, which is a tool to make a live CD and install ISO based on your current setup. Fairly easy to run. Not sure if I am ready to start yet another Ubuntu based Linux distro. However, it was pretty cool.
I like it
I am pretty excited as I am runing an Ubuntu that reports only 40-50M RAM used when logged in. FireFox is pretty fast. I also installed Flash plugin and Java-JRE. Finally I added OpenOffice.org3 (just to confuse myself), but everything works pretty decent. Skype behaves great. The menus in IceWM need to be sorted out, but I got me a very nice setup and this Pentium 3 PC seems to be fairly useful this way.
No comments:
Post a Comment