I did some research and quickly learned that little "better" bikes are expensive. I mean really expensive. Finally through some forums I learned about the bikes that fall into the "middle". The place is called BikesDirect. There are similar bikes on some eBay bike stores. I found a decent entry level road bike. It comes half assembled. Good thing is that the most complicated things are already installed.

It came safely in the box via UPS. I unpacked the thing and everything was neatly packed.

The instructions that came with it were OK so I started sorting out all the parts.

After 2-3 hours I had the thing set and ready to go.

The scale there was for me to check the weight of the bike. I think it was around 11kg (23-24lbs). Pretty light. I took it to a local bike shop for them to take a look if I put everything together the right way. The guy at the shop did some tuning of my rear derailer (not sure if I spelled this right), and he was kind enough not to charge me anything. I bought the pump and some spare tubes there.
The main purpose of this entry is to encourage people to explore the options between cheap bikes in chain stores and very expensive ones in bike shops. I have to tell that I strongly recommend checking your local bike shops as sometimes you might find what you need and people there usually know what they are talking about. You might also get some help there with assembling should you decide to buy a bike online.
On my part, I have to admit that it was fun to putting the thing together and learning little bit about tuning. I also have to say it was easier than assembling some of the IKEA furniture., so if you had any experience on that, you are good to go with the bikes.
Reference
http://www.bikesdirect.com
2 comments:
Nice work there. I'm getting ready to do the same thing this week. Have fun riding.
Thanks. Let me know how did it go.
Post a Comment