Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Sechuan" - Chinese Food in Novi Sad, Serbia

After so many years, ten years to be exact, I finally visited Novi Sad (former Yugoslavia). While walking through the downtown area with one of my old friend (my wife's maid of honor) we spotted a place called "Sechuan", which was the first Chinese food place in Novi Sad. This was a place where my wife and me togehter with our friends used to go out for dinner together. I am talking about early 90s. The food is fairly modified Chinese food adopted to local taste, but we loved it and loved to share different dishes. Typically, we went in groups 6-8 people so we got to order 6-8 different dishes. We knew the menu by heart and all the dishes by corresponding numbers.


We immediately went in and to my suprise the place looks exactly as it looked in 1990. Even bigger shock was the fact that even waiters are the same. To confirm that I asked them. One of the two guys have been there for 23 years, another one for 17. Yes, those are the faces I remembered. The menu, also same as 17-18 years ago. Without looking into the menu we ordered number 1 and 13, plus soup with "three tasty ingredients" and their locally famous desert. What a flashback.


"Simply the best" - one of the waiters quited Tina Turner in poor English. Really happy I stopped by. Hope they do not change the place for many years to come. This really became a landmark in Dunavska street in Novi Sad.

No comments: