In my first net install of Fedora 10 to Dell Vostro 1400 pretty much everything worked out of the box. There was a major issue with sound. The ALSA is not recognizing the proper options for snd-hda-intel. Pretty happy with new setup as everything works now.
Solution
I did lots of searching and went through reboot several times. Finally, I settled at the following (still may not mean that it is the right setting 100%, but everything works).
First opent your terminal and run the following command:
su -c 'nano /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist'
You will need to enter your root password here.
Then add a line at the end of the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist file:options snd-hda-intel model=d82
Save the file and reboot the system. Once the system is restarted and you login, open the Volume Control:
In Volume Control window click on Preferences button. It will open several options that can be selected. I believe the critical ones here are Digital and Digital Input Source. Make sure you select those two.
Click on close and switch to Recording tab. You should see Digital in that tab.
Then select Switches Options tab. Here make sure that for Digital Input Source you select Digital Mic 1.
Click on Close and you should be ready to use your built-in mic. I tested it with Skype and everything works like it should.Conclusion
This was the major issue I had with Fedora 10 on my Vostro 1400. I also pushed the MediaDirect button (aka Dell Vostro catastrophy button) and to my pleasant suprise it still worked. I was actually paying attention to that when I was installing Ubuntu before. I made a partition layout that worked out with MediaDirect (had to reinstall Windows and use Dell CDs to do that). This time I completely forgot to pay attention to it (started trusting these new Linux distros a lot). After I finished install I figured that I might have trouble with MediaDirect. I used autopartition with "Remove all Linux partitions" option. So far so good. Hope this works for you.
Update: An useful tip
Use following command:
aplay -L
to get an info on your chip. In this case it is ALC888 (Dell Vostro 200, not the laptop).Then reference the following page:
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
to get proper model name for your options snd-gda-intel line.
No comments:
Post a Comment