Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mac 512KE and Mac SE

Good old days...

Well in good old times, I had a Commodore 64 - "computer for mases, not classes" (Jack Tramiel, guy who built Commodore empire). When Mac 128 and 512 came out, these were computers for classes, but extremely cool and nice. I admired the sharp black and white monitor and crystal clear picture. Whoever used early home computers with TV sets they will know what I am talking about.


I got bunch of Mac stuff from a guy here who also collects old computers (Macs). I never got a Mac before, but certainly remember them well.


I am not Microsoft Office fan, but you got to love this old version. I like those good times when you could decently run a serious application of a single 400K floppy disk. Even though, my friend tells me it worked much better if you had an external floppy disk and used one drive to run the program and another one to save files.


Mac 512KE and Mac SE side by side. Mac SE also has a SCSI 20GB hard drive. That hard drive still works. Impressive. I like the old Mac's keyboard. It is fun that it took them long time to admit that cursor keys are needed and that a mouse is not solution for everything.

On Mac SE they improved the keyboard and mouse little bit. The fun thing is that they did not change CPU. It was still good old reliable MC68000 @ 8 MHz.

I also got to run MS Basic on them today. It was fun to write some simple programs and revoke some memories of my first steps on computers. Got to say it was much easier to do Basic on 8-bit computers that booted from ROM directly into Basic editor/operating system with "READY" prompt.

No comments: