Friday, April 4, 2008

Solved: System Restore DSR Fix (Dell Dimension 3000)

Intro

I got this little Dell Dimension 3000. The Windows XP on it was in the stage where it was booting like 10 minutes or more. I put a Linux on it and the Box started behaving very nicely. Actually this system is pretty fast (P4@2.8GHz, 512MB). I noticed two Dell partitions, one at the beginning of the disk and another towards the end (Dell Utility). This is a 2005 vintage system. I learned that at that time Dell started shipping systems with Symantec restore utility. It is called Dell System Restore (DSR). That is what that first partition was. It has a DOS on it and a system restore to the factory condition. Unfortunately, booting from it requires that MBR in the hard drive that supports CTRL-F11 hot key during the boot. With my Linux install I created a "normal" MBR that would not do it. Same thing happens if someone tries to install Windows XP from Windows CD. Also, standard fdisk /mbr command would disable DSR, too.

Symptoms
  • Dell System Restore (CTRL+F11) during the boot disabled.
  • Typically, Windows CD install, Linux install, or fdisk /mbr would create a "normal" MBR that unfortunately does not know anything about DSR.
Solution

I found a nice website discussing Dell System Restore and Dell Utility partitions. There I found a link for a tool that installs DSR supporting MBR. The solution is as follows:
  • Download DSRFIX.ZIP file from:
    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/files/dsrfix.zip
  • You will need to create a DOS boot floppy, which may be troublesome and also useless if your system does not have a floppy drive. Easier approach is to create a bootable CD.
  • Unzip DSRFIX.ZIP file. Inside you will locate and ISO file. Burn a CD with that ISO file. You will get a bootable FreeDOS CD with DSRFIX tool on it.
  • Put that CD into the PC which MBR you want to analyze and fix. Reboot the PC and make sure it boots from the CD.
  • Once system boots, you will get a DOS command prompt. Type DSRFIX then press Enter key. It should analyze your MBR and give you status.
  • DSKFIX /H command prints you the Help. With DSRFIX /F you initiate fixing of the MBR.
  • It worked great for me. After it finished, I removed the CD, rebooted and got a Dell screen just like if the machine was coming from the factory.
Remarks

Please note that the DSRFIX tool is not a Dell supported tool. Please read the documentation and disclaimers. It seems it has been tested with several Dell systems.
An interesting detail is that if you have a correct Dell MBR , there will be a blue line with Dell logo at the top of the screen while booting the machine. During the time you can see that blue line you can type in CTRL-F11 and initiate booting into DSR.
Please do not initiate restore if you have important data on you hard drive that you need to backup. Backup all your files before messing up with DSR or you will loose it all.
I generally don't like this approach at Dell to have this "special" type of MBR. It makes things very specific and limits use of the hardware the normal way. Similar thing (if not worse) is Direct Media button (aka "Kill your partition table" button), but that is another story...

Reference

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/files/dsrfix.zip

6 comments:

Ing. Du said...

Worked like a charm my friend. Great Stuff...

Gaye Mertz said...

You are my new best friend!

Unknown said...

I know this blog is from 2008, and it is now 2012, but my boss asked me to fix his old Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop for him. It would not boot to my Win XP disk and the CRT/F11 function would not work. I was stumped till I found your solution. The laptop is being restored as I write this. Thank you a thousand times!!!

Unknown said...

You are absolutely awesome, thank you for a direct solution to a re-install issue I was having on a friends Dell 3000. I located the recover partition and the files were intact but not accessible until I ran across your instructions. Thanks again!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I haven't slept for almost a week...trying to fix this problem.....BUT today I found your post! and Tonight, I will sleep!! :D

BTW, if anyone out there ever needs help with this, I think I have become an expert on this problem ;) Feel free to contact me!

cdiaze said...

Hey Eli, i have pretty muche the same problem, but there's onde thing different. i tried this dsrfix but it didn´t work, i think because once i couldn´t solve this i splitted the hard drive. anyways, i thried using the pbr4 command line but it didn´t work either...